Monday, July 31, 2006

"Getting Involved - My interview with Darcy Burner"

Jason Black:

This past Wednesday I had the opportunity to go to a concert by Stephen Stills of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young fame. He was in town for a tour date, and came to town a day early so he could do a benefit/fundraiser for my favorite Congressional candidate, Darcy Burner. At the end of the evening, after most folks had left, Darcy was kind enough to let me interview her for a while about her campaign, her family, and her take on how this whole political season is shaping up. Excerpt:


JB: So what's your take on the pulse of the district?

DB: There is an unbelievable amount of energy in the district around the idea of changing the direction of the country. We're going door to door in the district, we're talking to people on the telephone, I'm talking to people at fairs and festivals and things. And huge numbers of people, huge numbers of voters, are ready to see this country change direction and are ready to act to make that happen. I'll give you a quick anecdote. So I filed for this office on the 15th of June last year. And on the 4th of July of last year I marched on the 4th of July parade in Carnation.

JB: Right, there are pictures on your website.

DB: Right, there are pictures on my website. And in that parade, I got at best a lukewarm reception. There were some people who wouldn't shake my hand, a couple of people who shouted out that, you know, they didn't like Democrats. I had a couple of people greet me enthusiastically, but literally most people were like "eh, not interested." We marched again in that parade this year, and the experience was completely different. This year I had huge numbers of people shouting enthusiastically. As I would walk by, I would hear people shouting "That's Darcy Burner! She's the Democratic candidate for Congress!" They were like "Yaaay!" I had nobody--nobody--who wouldn't shake my hand. Not a single person.

No comments: