Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"Should Cantwell Vote Against The Financial Regulation Bill?" (with poll)

dlaw (WashBlog, with poll):
With the death of Senator Byrd, there will be tremendous focus on Senator Cantwell's principled, intelligent position against the present financial regulation bill - a position she shares with Senator Feingold, but also with the Party of No.

The present bill is sleazy and fairly dastardly, but I'm so discourage by the Dems that I think maybe she should change her position - much as I admire her for taking it.

My gut tells me "no". I'm sure that Cantwell's giving in for exactly the reasons she will be encouraged to give in was part of Wall Street's playbook the whole time. It's just hard to accept that somehow the Dems were able to manufacture a loss from a bill that was the easiest win in the recent history of major legislation. It seems insane to give in to Wall Street right now, rather than hanging the Republicans with this bill's failure. I don't know. What do you think?

No comments: