Sunday, October 16, 2011

"Thousands protest in Seattle in 'Occupy' movement" (with video)



Tonya Mosley (KING 5 News), with video (02:54):
A sea of people flowed through downtown Seattle streets Saturday in a global action day for the "Occupy Movement."

About 3,000 people crammed into Seattle's Westlake Park on Saturday before marching toward a Chase Bank branch.

Mark and Misha Randall rode the bus from south Seattle.

"We just kind of had our coffee, looked at the paper and thought yeah, let's go down there,” said Misha.

They say the story the world needs to hear is the one they are living.

"I'm starting over. I'm 41 years old and effectively it's wipe the slate clean, it's a do over as if I’m graduating out of high school, you know,” said Misha.

"I was working for a company that had Washington Mutual as a client; when that company failed my job went away within five months and I haven't worked since then,” she said.

"I'm 56 years old and I've worked since I was 14,” said Mark. "We already tried Wall Street and our investments, we tried real estate and that tanked so what do we do, where do you go."

"There's just a fundamental unfairness to it. You work hard, you do what you're supposed to do and that's completely shifted,” said Misha.

And so the Randalls marched with the others.

"The American dream used to be home ownership and now it's just can I save my home,” said Misha.

Mayor Mike McGinn has said those who stay past the park’s closing time of 10 p.m. would be arrested. McGinn has invited them to stay at city hall.

The folks pitching tents said they would stay until they were forced out.

Protests also took place in Tacoma, Olympia, Spokane and in Vancouver, Wash. The Occupy Wall Street movement began about a month ago and has inspired similar protests around the globe.
Howie P.S.: McGinn's threat to arrest people after 10 p.m. appears to have been hollow. If you watch the video, watch/listen to the male anchor convert "pitch tents" into "pitch t*ts, perhaps having been distracted by the reporter's cleavage.

No comments: