Tuesday, May 15, 2007

"Obama To Support Feingold Amendment Cutting Off War Funding"

Greg Sargent (TPM Cafe):
Obama will vote for the Feingold amendment:

“Tomorrow, I expect cloture votes on two other proposals. One is the Reid-Feingold plan, which would begin a withdrawal of troops in 120 days and end all combat operations on April 1. The other is Senator Levin's proposal, which would create standards and benchmarks for additional funding.”

“I will support both, not because I believe either is the best answer, but because I want to send a strong statement to the Iraqi government, the President and my Republican colleagues that it's long past time to change course.”

“Meanwhile, I'll continue to press for my own plan, and work to find the 16 votes in the Senate to pass it with a veto-proof majority and bring our troops home quickly, safely and responsibly.”


Perhaps most interesting is Obama's optimism that ultimately Dems will be able to secure enough support to override subsequent Presidential vetoes. He says the following about the Congressional approach vetoed by the President last month: "I think it will become the framework for a bipartisan coalition the President can't resist."

Seems like a long way from here to that veto-proof majority to us. But who knows?

Meanwhile, we'll bring you Hillary's position when it becomes available.

No comments: