Well, Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama have decided not to participate in the Democratic debate that the Congressional Black Caucus institute and Fox News channel had planned for September in Detroit.
Their decision follows that of John Edwards from last week. Mr. Edwards was the first to decline both this one and one that was canceled by Nevada Democrats after liberal activists and several of the most influential lib-blogs had mounted pressure against Fox for its conservative-leaning programming.
This may likely scuttle the Detroit debate — C.B.C.’s debate with Fox — since only the second tier of candidates are left. The caucus also has announced one with CNN, which these Democratic candidates have said they want to attend.
Bill Burton, spokesman for Senator Obama, said CNN seemed a more “appropriate venue.”
Phil Singer, spokesman for Senator Clinton, said: “We’re going to participate in the D.N.C.-sanctioned debates only. We’ve previously committed to participating in the South Carolina and Tavis Smiley debates.”
Spokesmen for both the Obama and Clinton campaigns said they would participate in the debates to be set by the Democratic party, beginning in July. Party officials said last week those would not include Fox.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
"Clinton, Obama Shun C.B.C.-Fox Debate"