Saturday, October 08, 2011

Joan Walsh: "Unions, Democrats and Occupy Wall Street"


Joan Walsh (Salon):
What happens when a movement without leaders meets leaders without a movement? We're about to find out---I’m embarrassed to admit my first reaction to Occupy Wall Street was cynicism. Along with some other folks on Twitter when it began Sept. 17, I wondered aloud why it started on a Saturday, when Wall Street was quiet. I couldn’t find a list of its goals. Visiting New York a few days later, I walked along Wall Street in the rain trying to find protesters, but though there were barricades all along that dark canyon, and cops everywhere, nobody was protesting; I later saw a few dozen people among tents at Liberty Plaza, but by that time I was running to catch my plane home. MORE...

No comments: