Saturday, March 06, 2010

"Student Protests" (with video/audio)


Darryl, with video from The Young Turks (05:14):
Today it felt like I was in Madison in 1970 again. From my fourth story office at the University of Washington I could hear chants, bullhorns, cheers, and boos. Apparently, it happened all over the place.

It is good to see students charged-up and fighting injustices. Really, it is…even if they are motivated by the injustices that they were suffering (big tuition hikes). My hope is that they continue to protest and take stands against other injustices in the world.

I guess I am (belatedly) expressing slight disappointment in the lack of vigorous and sustained protests during the invasion and occupation of Iraq. There certainly were a few protests, but today’s rally against tuition hikes seemed larger and more politically charged than anything I saw or heard on campus during the period that Americans were killing tens or hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and thousands of Americans.

Howie P.S.: Here's an in-depth radio interview with Henry A. Giroux on "Public Education, Youth and US Society Today" from KPFA.

No comments: