Wednesday, March 25, 2009

In defense of Chuck Todd (with video)


Politico, video (01:04).

Howie P.S.: Todd has been getting hammered all day about his question at the press conference about "shared sacrifice." Obama chose to turn the question towards "Main Street" even though I think Todd was talking about "Wall Street":
Some of your programs have actually cushioned the blow for those that were irresponsible...
Granted, Todd wasn't perfectly clear about the group he was targeting, but I don't see how you can conclude that it wasn't the gamblers in banking and insurance.

2 comments:

Shaun said...

When I hear Villagers like Todd talk about "those who were irresponsible" I assume they mean folks who bought bad mortgages (isn't the whole "teabagging" business protesting helping folks with mortgage problems, or people who foolishly allowed themselves to be laid off without a couple years of living expenses saved up, or maybe people who stubbornly insist on getting sick despite lacking insurance. That kind of "irresponsible."

That said, I'd like to think you're right. I don't think so, but I'd like to.

Howard Martin said...

I don't see how Obama did anything to "cushion" their plight. The high-flyers, except for Madoff, seem to be coming out of this with their bottom lines intact. Maybe Geithner's new rules will pinch, but they got away with the money with their gambling "earned" them.