Sunday, August 01, 2010

Joan Walsh: "A message from Charles Sherrod"

Joan Walsh:
Digby as usual has a wonderful rundown of everything that's been wrong with the treatment of Shirley Sherrod (her contrast between the courage and grit of Sherrod and her attackers is inspired; scroll to the end.) She does a better job than I did describing the bizarro world right wing Obama foes are trying to create, in which any black person who complains about white racism is the one who's racist.

Coincidentally, I got an email from Charles Sherrod tonight; I'd sent him a note when I wrote my piece about his civil rights heroism seeking comment. He got back to me, and this is all he said:

The attack on my wife has opened up an avalanche of discussion on a tabooed subject...RACE. It is a blessing to be an instrument of God's GRACE.

I'm going to try to let that stand as the last word on the Sherrods for a while.

No comments: