Thursday, March 24, 2005

''SAVING TERRI SCHIAVO'' (UPDATED)

"And where is Howard Dean when you need him? Apparently, he's been gagged by the Democratic establishment. The doctor from Vermont did tell reporters in Tennessee that the Schiavo case "is a deeply personal matter and ought to be left up to physicians," but compare that to what he said as a presidential candidate in Tallahassee in 2003: "I am tired of people in the legislature thinking they have an M.D. when what they really have is a B.S.!"-Sandeep Kaushik writing in The Stranger, taking Dean to task for failing to oppose Rovian efforts in Congress to intervene in the case. Dean was quoted in the NY Times in a story, "Legislators With Medical Degrees Offer Opinions on Schiavo Case" that came after Kaushik's deadline: "Dr. Frist's remarks were not "medically sound." I doubt this has satified Sandeep. Update: I am assuming Dean's comment from my post below wasn't good enough for Sandeep, as well: "Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean, who practiced internal medicine, called Republicans' efforts to pass the bill "grandstanding'' and criticized the majority leader's comments. "For Senator Frist to say he could make a diagnosis based on the videotape certainly is not medically sound,'' Dean said. "I would not want my doctor making any diagnosis of me on videotape, and I'm speaking as a doctor.''-from the AP story. To give him the benefit of the doubt, that story probably came after The Stranger's deadline, also.

No comments: