Monday, February 16, 2009

Al Giordano accepts a draft movement to replace Randi Rhodes (with video)

"About that Vacuum on the Left Side of the Dial..." (Al Giordano):

Not privy to the behind-the-scenes details, I'm a fan both of Nova M Radio and its now former talk show host Randi Rhodes, who have reached a parting of the ways, according to NGBlog. Rhodes did the 3-6 p.m. ET "East Coast Afternoon Drive" slot on the network.

Apparently, both sides signed a contract that doesn't let them talk about whatever caused the falling out, but here are the corresponding statements.

From Rhodes:

Nova M Radio has not yet corrected the problem that has kept me off the air despite my strong desire and readiness to broadcast my show. Respecting the employer-employee relationship that has existed between Nova M and me, and expecting the solution to be quickly achieved, details of the disabling event were withheld in good faith. But I can tell you this much: You should not beleive any statement implicating me as being in any way responsible for the disruption in the Randi Rhodes Show. There is no truth to any such message. In fact, I did everything in my power to help Nova M make it possible for me to return.

In light of the most recent developments, my show will be seeking a new home. I would ask for your continued patience and indulgence in respecting my rights during this time. Your unwavering support is cherished. Thank you.

Randi Rhodes

And here's a statement from Nova M's Anita Drobny:

To all of Randi's listeners; 
You are all correct - I have not had the option to disclose what has been happening between Randi and Nova M...

You see, it's in her contract that she has total control, but, after Wednesday night, I want you all to know that Nova M has done everything we can to get her back on the air.

All this is her choice; if she wants to tell you all what the issue is, then I hope she does, but I can't according to her contract rules.

But I can tell you this I have wanted her back on the air. She's an amazing talent and needs to be heard.

Thank you all for all of your support.

Randi now has to make her decisions as to what she must do with her career...

Anita Drobny

In lawyer-speak, that sounds like "irreconcilable differences." As in major league sports, stuff like that regularly happens between teams and all-stars, but the season marches on and if a top player opts out, a new quarterback must be found.

Now, if only there were somebody out there who could really compete with the Limbaughs and Hannitys for hearts and minds on the American airwaves, a southpaw with a fastball arm... Someone who can inspire on politics and current events in the language of everyday people... Someone who really is a "radio guy " or "radio gal" with daily AM talk radio experience (and the high ratings to show for it)... Most vitally, someone with that all important sense of fun that is so key to successful talk radio... Someone who could bring a national base of organizers and collaborators with him or her and hit the ground running... What these times call for is a community organizer of the airwaves.

And, in this time of transition for the forces of progress, if that voice had recently been tagged as "the prophet of the Obama paradigm shift," he or she might just be the right voice in the right place at the right time to redefine talk radio in America and organize an end to right-wing dominance of it.

Well, I do know somebody like that. Maybe you do, too. I think he'd even be willing to rip himself out of his South of the Border paradise for a shot at a microphone like that one. He's made his interest known (along with probably scores of other aspirants) to Nova M and would be thrilled to hear back from them.

If Nova M in its infinite wisdom gave a voice like that a fighting chance with a live, on air, audition, well that might prove interesting.

Field Hands: The comments section is open for your ideas on how to organize to make that happen.

Update: As readers of the comments section (below) have seen, Field Hand "Mom in Maine" formed a Facebook group to politely ask the radio chain to grant me an audition.

My first instinct was not to join that group, given the pitfalls of self-promotion. But a couple of longtime colleagues who are political and social-networking pros and were around during my salad years on AM talk radio convinced me tonight that I should not hesitate to do so, that the worst thing that could come out of it would be a headline like "Wanna Be Talk Radio Host Utilizes Internet to Land Hot Seat."

They also said that some folks would consider it important to know if I support that effort or not. So I've done so, and invited others to do the same. Darn Field Hands pushed me into it. Now, please join that group to show that I've got a potential listener or two out there. And thanks. So many of you are so very kind.
Howie P.S.: Down in the comments, a reader offers this audition video tape of Al.

No comments: