MSNBC-Rachel Maddow, video (16:04):
Go ahead, squint at the current slate of Republican candidates, the most extreme and in some cases strange crop of politicians in a lifetime. No coherent, cogent narrative explains why so many of them are on the verge of winning office this, despite what you read in the papers:Howie P.S.: Rachel offers these helpful examples of how Democrats should fight back, video (10:31).
- It's not concern over the federal deficit -- see Marco Rubio and the $3.5 trillion added by extending the Bush tax cuts.
- It's not a national rejection of big government -- see Sharron Angle, Ken Buck, Rand Paul, et al advocating for federal control of every pregnancy.
- It's not anger over the federal stimulus -- see the really long list of Republicans who criticized the stimulus and then trumpeted the stimulus checks.
- It's not about a revolt over health reform -- see Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, among others, who criticized and even sued over it and then trumpeted the checks.
- It's not about the Wall Street bailout -- see Pat Toomey, former derivatives trader and Republican for Senate from Pennsylvania.
- Nor it is about political neophytes and outsider candidates -- see Christine O'Donnell, perpetual election/media machine, among others.