Friday, August 03, 2007

"Jon Stewart: How a 'tiny distinction' between Obama and Clinton became a 'slugfest'" (with video)



RAW STORY, with video (04:00):
On Thursday's Daily Show, Jon Stewart suggested that Barack Obama's recent tough statement on taking direct action in Pakistan "was perhaps meant to counter a remark Obama made concerning talks that he would have with hostile foreign leaders."
Stewart then played a clip of Obama saying, "The notion that somehow not talking to countries is punishment to them ... is ridiculous,"

"That's how disputes are handled in middle school," commented Stewart. "Shouldn't countries operate like sixth graders?"

Stewart then showed Hillary Clinton answering the same question by saying, "I will not promise to meet with the leaders of these countries during my first year."

"Whoa!' exclaimed Stewart. "Obama would be willing to meet with these leaders, and so would Hillary -- but no promise. Although he didn't really promise it either. How could Hillary take this tiny policy distinction to highlight her campaign's narrative that Obama lacks experience?"

Stewart then played clips of Clinton saying, "I thought that was irresponsible and frankly naive" and Obama coming back with, "I don't want a continuation of Bush-Cheney. I don't want Bush-Cheney Lite."

"Here's a strange thing about Bush-Cheney Lite," remarked Stewart. "It actually has twice the calories. You know why? Nothing they do makes sense."

"I wonder what the media's narrative of this will be?" continued Stewart, playing clips of news hosts saying "Heavyweight boxing match ... slugfest ... clash of the titans ... battle of goliaths ... ugly ... ripping into each other."
Howie P.S.: First let me say, I love Jon Stewart and enjoy watching him immensely. However, if I may be audacious for a moment, the whole thing was kicked-off by Hillary's "naive and inexperienced" remark about Obama. So Barack had to make sure that narrative was challenged. Therefore, Mr. Stewart's mocking of their spat seems off the mark, to me. Challenging a sacred cow like Jon Stewart will probably destroy what little credibility I have left in my tank, but like I said: I'm being audacious for a moment.

No comments: