Sunday, June 05, 2005

''My trip to the airport''

This is a personal anecdote from someone who had an unexpected encounter at SeaTac Airport today and what he hears himself saying: "Walking into the airport, I looked up the escalator to see none other than the man himself: Big Howard Dean. Karen’s flight was a whole half an hour early so I knew I didn’t have a lot of time, but I thought, I’ve got to at least shake his hand. He was with just one handler who was carrying one of his bags, but Howard had two bags slung over his shoulders. I’ll bet Ken Mehlmann doesn’t carry his own bags.

As he got off the escalator I walked up and asked if I could shake his hand to which he said “Sure!” I stupidly only mentioned that I had supported him for president and wished he had won - I should have complimented him on his job as DNC chairman or urged him to keep on taking a tough line with the likes of Delay instead. But he replied that he wished he had won, too, and I had already decided that all I really wanted was to shake his hand, having missed the opportunity when he was in Tacoma by about five feet.

He went off to his Seattle event and I went off to pick up my wife and son. Just a little thing to brighten what has been an otherwise dismal couple of weeks."

No comments: