Sunday, November 25, 2007

"Clinton says she is 'by far' most electable"

The Swamp (Chicago Tribune political blog):
NEVADA, Iowa—Democratic presidential contender Hillary Clinton declared herself "by far" the most electable candidate for the White House among those in her party, citing a history of tempestuous dealings with Republican critics.

The New York senator, who has made "experience" a theme of her campaign in challenging the credentials of first-term Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, also said she doesn't take the GOP criticism personally.
"You know people talk about who can be elected and all that. But I believe I am by far the most electable Democrat, because I know exactly what I am getting into. I've got no illusions and there are no surprises and I am 100 percent ready," Clinton told a crowd of about 300 people at a community center in the north-central Iowa community of Nevada.

"I think my political experience of having been on the receiving end of so much incoming fire over the years equips me for understanding you don't take this personally. You can't take it personally," she said.

The former first lady said Republicans are welcome to continue to try to make her a polarizing figure.

"I drive the Republicans crazy because they've spent hundreds of millions of dollars attacking and defaming me," she said. "I don't care. I mean, if that's how they want to spend their time and their money, let them do it. Ultimately, I trust the American people."

Clinton, who had a day full of stops in Iowa, was more than 40 minutes late to the late-afternoon Nevada, Iowa, appearance. She apologized for speaking too long at her previous stop and promised not to do it again.

But about a half-hour through her one-hour visit to Nevada, she began to lose her voice and took some sips from a glass of water. After drinking the water, she had a bit of a coughing fit that gave her a hoarse-sounding throat and teary eyes until an aide handed her a lozenge.

"Anybody want to talk?" she asked the audience as she regained her voice. "Iowans have a lot to say."
Howie P.S.: I wish I was as confident about Hillary's ability to unite the Democrats behind her as I am about her ability to unite the Republicans against her.

No comments: